Today didn’t go so well and I’ve had a few hiccups. I’m a bit of a techno-troglodyte, so hope you this post amuses you. Please enjoy my account of how I spent the last 10 hours.
Writing out my ‘script’ for the video was easy. I read it out to myself and it was about 5 minutes long – so I edited it a bit and tried not to waffle so much, which I know I have a tendency to do. I’m not going to learn it word for word or it will sound too stilted, but I do need some notes. I checked out the videos of a couple of people on the blog register who already have theirs up and running and was really impressed. Clear, not stumbling over words – they looked like they’d been doing it for years. Well done peeps.
Attempts at Recording the Video
1. Then it was trial and error for rest of the day – for hours! The Google Hangouts couldn’t find the camera on my computer. I even went searching on the internet for a solution to turn on the camera for my Asus laptop. Still no luck – it remains stubbornly uncooperative unless I am using Skype. My lil’ old mini HP takes so long to do anything, but I got the camera working fine on it. Then the same problem with Google Hangouts – it couldn’t detect the camera.
2. Okay, so next I tried with my rather old digital camera. I could record, but the picture was really dark and I could barely hear the sound. When I downloaded it onto my computer there was this awful background noise on it that drowned out everything. I later found out that the default programme for saving was DivX but when I changed the default to VLC – no problem.
3. So I tried with my android Samsung phone. Nice quality picture, good sound, great. I was glad I was only trying out with 20 second ‘demos’. I’m not very good with technology so how to get the video off the phone and onto the computer? So I emailed it to myself. It worked great only I ended up sideways. I decided I couldn’t expect my ‘audience’ to lie on their sides to watch it, so it was back to the drawing board.
4. A longer version this time, the right way up I couldn’t email the file as it was too large. Let’s think outside the box here – after locating where bluetooth was on both devices and turning it on I used this to download. . The file took about 40 mins to load from phone to computer but failed near the end and refused to let itself retry.
5. Hmm.. what’s next. Google + My phone informed me the file had been sent. I checked Google + and an hour later the file was still ‘processing’. At that point I decided to delete the file.
So, at this stage I still haven’t recorded the full video, still haven’t had any new creative thought about how to meet this week’s challenge, and I haven’t even got as far as working out how I get it on to Youtube once I have got it recorded and on my computer ready to go. I guess I need to set up an account. I’m glad I don’t need to go to work tomorrow.
Continue reading Some Things That Don’t Work.